||1. You'll need 5 colors for this design. Most of your icing will be the background color, in this case, orange. Make smaller amounts of the other four colors. In this design we used dark blue, pink, black and a very small amount of yellow. To find a royal icing recipe, CLICK HERE
2. Using a squeeze bottle filled with your background color squeeze several dollops of icing on the shoe. Use a small brush to push the icing to the edges of the shoe. Allow to dry for several minutes or until a crust forms.
3. Using the pink icing and a pastry bag or a squeeze bottle fitted with a #2 or #3 tip, Outline the entire shoe and add the stripes as seen in the picture. Before the icing dries, sprinkle matching sparkling sugar on the piped pink icing. (If your icing dries before you get to the sugar, paint a small amount of warmed white corn syrup on the outline and then add the sugar)
4. Using the dark blue icing and a pastry bag or squeeze bottle fitted with a #2 or #3 tip, pipe on the alternate colored stripes as seen in the picture.
5. Add the black stripe to the bottom and heel with a squeeze bottle or pastry bag filled with black icing. (To make black icing, add cocoa powder to your white icing to bring it to a dark brown. Then add your black gel coloring. It will require less color and taste GREAT)
6. Use the yellow icing and a pastry bag or squeeze bottle fitted with a #2 or #3 tip to add ankle clasp as seen in the picture.
7. Allow cookies to dry for several hours before storing. If you're using royal icing, the cookies can be frozen. Remember to bring the container back to room temperature before opening to avoid condensation on the cookies.