This decorating idea looks best on gingerbread or chocolate cookies.
1. You'll need 5 colors for this design. Make equal parts of white, green, and red royal icing. Also make a VERY small amount of black icing. To find a royal icing recipe, CLICK HERE
2. You'll also need Christmas lights sprinkles, white edible glitter and #10 (3mm) gold dragees. |
3. Fill three pastry bags fitted with a #2 or #3 tip with the red, green and white icing. Use a bag fitted with a #1 or #2 tip for the black icing.
4. Use the green bag to make the string for the lights on the antlers -- top with different colors of the Christmas light sprinkles. Make the dots for the necklace and make a small line for the saddle.
5. Using the white icing, make a small dot for the eye and add the snow to the back, chest, tail and feet. Sprinkle the snow areas with edible glitter.
6. Use your red pastry bag to add the additional dots for the necklace and the nose. Pipe along the outside of the green saddle line then add the gold dragees to create the bell effect.
7. Use the black icing to add the eye mouth and hooves.
6. Allow cookies to dry for several hours before storing. If you're using royal icing, the cookies can be frozen. Remember to bring the container back to room temperature before opening to avoid condensation on the cookies.
HINT: To make black icing melt unsweetened chocolate and mix it into your white icing. This will take your icing to a nice brown color. Now, just add a small amount of black gel coloring to your brown icing to get black. You'll use less black coloring and the icing will taste like chocolate!